100 Facts on Ancient Greece
Author: Fiona Macdonald
- Simple projects throughout help reluctant and early readers understand the facts more clearly.
- Full-page artworks bring the ancient world to life.
- Comprehensive index enables children to navigate the topics easily.
Synopsis - Product details
100 Facts Ancient Greece for kids contains key topics about ancient Greece for children aged 6-10 years in simple, exciting numbered facts. Every page showcases fantastic illustrations and photographs that support a child's understanding of the text.
Topics covered in 100 Facts Ancient Greece:
- Beliefs about the power of the Gods to punish and reward humans.
- The Battle of Troy and the famous wooden horse.
- Athens' rivalry with Sparta and the great battles between the armies.
'I don't believe it' fascinating facts:
- When their sons were marching off to war, Spartan women said 'Come back carrying your shield (victorious) or be carried on it (dead!)'.
- Pythagoras' followers believed in reincarnation. They were vegetarians - but they would not eat beans because they might contain reborn human souls!
- Once a year, Athenian citizens voted to ban unpopular people from their city for ten years.
Activities to make learning accessible and interactive:
- Make Helen of Troy's crown using gold-coloured card, sequins and a string of beads.
- Quiz question: When was the first Olympic Games held?
- Make a Greek chiton using cloth, safety pins and a belt.